The higher the dose the greater, the risk of digestive problems or poisoning in dogs. When your dog reacts badly with milk, stop feeding them with it. If they have loose stools, give them pumpkin or squash
For vomiting, it is best to bring your dog to the vet.
Snacks & Sweets
Obesity is the most common preventable disease in dogs. Our dogs could gain weight from munching on treats and snacks.
Chocolates are human’s comfort food due to the happy hormones serotonin that the tryptophan in chocolates releases.
It could be eaten as snacks or added to dishes and desserts and it could even be drunk. There are different varieties chocolates and added even flavors to enhance its taste.
Chocolates are considered as one of the most common causes of dog poisoning.
Methylxanthines in chocolates can cause vomiting in small doses and death when taken in large amount.
Most dog owners already know that chocolates although enjoyed by humans are not safe for dogs. Sometimes though, it’s inevitable that they get access to our stash whether we drop a few pieces on the floor or they just find our hiding place.
This is critical as only a few ounces of chocolates are enough to kill a small dog. Dark chocolates are more harmful than white or milk chocolates, but even an ounce of milk chocolates can already be fatal to small dogs.
It may take 6-12 hours before the symptoms of chocolate poisoning become visible. So it is not wise to wait for them to exhibit the symptoms before going to the vet or inducing vomiting.
Chocolate poisoning signs include:
- Extreme thirst
- Too much energy and pacing
- Shaking or Seizures
Sometimes dogs would vomit when they have ingested chocolates or caffeine. If they don’t your vet might give him or advice you to administer 1tbsp of hydrogen peroxide for every 20 pounds of your dog’s weight to make him vomit.
According to PetMD
vets use drugs called apomorphine to force vomiting, gastric lavage, and activated charcoal to prevent the chocolate from getting into your dog’s blood along with fluid therapy and medications.
If you act fast, the chances of your dog surviving is higher. Recovery will also depend on the amount of poison ingested. Water is the safest beverage you can give your dog.